Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Unit 4 refection

This unit was about reproduction, specifically sexual reproduction. I specifically learned the differences between sexual and asexual reproduction, how sex works, and what happens before sex(meiosis, and its steps). We also learned about inheritance, This involved using punnet squares to calculate the probability of offspring having certain traits based off their parents' genotypes. We also learned about dominant, and recessive alleles, which is when one allele is shown over another. Mendel discovered the characteristics and laid down the foundations of genetics. We also learned about some more complicated topics in genetics such as gene linkage, and epistasis.

My main strengths were punnet squares,mitosis and meiosis. My weakness is that i don't quite understand some of the more complected terms yet, and could still use some review on them. Doing the info graphic helped me a lot. It help with both the content side, and the time management side. On the content is was both a test of what I knew, and a review on what I didn't. I had to explain the concepts, so I had to be solid on them, which held me accountable for knowing them.

I still want to know more about genetic mutations. Genetic mutations ave always fascinated me, and the weren't talked about muck in this unit. 

I took a VARK Questionnaire to see how I should be studying, and what type of a learner I am. The results were as I expected, I was more kinesthetic(13), and visual(11), than read/write(6) and aural(2). The useful part of the survey was the studying tips. It recommended that I find/draw diagram and that I go back over what i did in labs. I intend to try both of theses new methods of studying on the new test

No comments:

Post a Comment