Monday, May 9, 2016

20 time individual reflection

For my 20 time project I decided to study what the best techniques to learn something new are. I was hoping that this would help me, and others do better on tests, and and in other areas that require memorization. This was very challenging for me, because it was hard for me to find anybody that was willing to try a different way of studying for a test, and risk getting a worse grade, for my experiment. I was a bit lost, so I did a lot of research on different learning methods. I eventually came up with the idea of using a survey to get some basic data, and go on from there. The survey was very successful, and I got a decent base line to work off of. By this time I didn't have much time left, and I really wanted to run en experiment, so I decided to get a few people, and I created 3 short ten question tests. I had each of them take each test using a different method of studying. This test had very surprising results. No one method was the best, and all three of them had very similar average scores, but different people using the same method had very different scores. This led me to the conclusion that there is no one silver bullet solution, and that it varies from person to person. 

From this project I learned how every body is different (as mentioned above), but also a lot about how to overcome obstacles, and that is always okay to go back to the drawing board, and start your project over. If I could do this project again i would try the same thing, bet create better tests, and use more people. I also would start on my trials sooner. I really want to get better data, and I am considering running this experiment on a bigger scale, with a harder test, and more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment